Recent Faculty Publications
Faculty scholarship since 2020
- Original Meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment: Its Letter and Spirit (2021) (with Randy E. Barnett).
- Two-Step Auer Deference
- Eliminating Constitutional Law, 67 S.D. L. Rev. (forthcoming 2022).
- Policing as Unequal Protection (May 21, 2021).
- Antisubjugation and the Equal Protection of the Laws, 110 Geo. J.L. 1 (2021).
- The Morality of the Presidential Oath, 47 Ohio N. L. Rev. 33 (2021).
- Substantive Due Process for Justice Thomas, 26 Mason L. Rev. 1087 (2020).
- The Privileges or Immunities Clause, Abridged: A Critique of Kurt Lash on the Fourteenth Amendment, 95 Notre Dame L. Rev. 499 (2020) (with Randy E. Barnett).
- Intraparty Conflict and the Separation of Powers, 75 U. Pa. J. Const. L. (forthcoming 2023).
- The Politics of Deference (with Jonathan Gould), 75 Vand. L. Rev. 475 (2022).
- Reflections on Poems from Guantánamo, in Remaking the Exceptional: Tracing Torture, Justice, and Reparations (DePaul Art Museum, 2022).
- The Prospect and Perils of Climate Preemption for Public Health, __ N.E. Univ. L. Rev. (forthcoming 2022).
- Adapting to a 4º World, 52 Env't L. Rep. 10211 (with Karrigan Bork et al.) (2022).
- How the Biden Administration Can Empower Local Climate Action, 51 Urb. Law. 203 (2021).
- Why Localizing Climate Federalism Matters (Even) During a Biden Administration, 99 Texas L. Rev. Online 122 (2021).
- Localizing Environmental Federalism, 54 UC Davis L. Rev. 133 (2020).
- Principles of Home Rule for the Twenty-First Century, National League of Cities; Virginia Public Law and Legal Theory Research Paper No. 2020-16; Fordham Law Legal Studies Research Paper No. 3539617 (February 12, 2020) (with Richard Briffault et al.).
- The Right to Access Legal Information: Progress and Evolving Norms in a Digital Age, 114 L. Libr. J. 261 (2022).
- Global Legal Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility: Where's the Beef?, 46 N.C. J. Int'l L. 111 (2021).
- Writing for Law Practice: What They Didn’t Teach You First Year, with co-author Lisa Mazzie, Carolina Academic Press (forthcoming 2024).
- The Art of Cutting Yourself Some Slack: Reinventing Yourself as an Online Teacher, in Law Teaching Strategies for a New Era: Beyond the Physical Classroom (Tessa Dysart and Tracey Norton eds.), Carolina Academic Press (2021).
- Burnout Doesn't Frighten Me, 25 L. Writing J. 131 (2021).
- Voting Like a Duck: Reflecting on a Year of Legal Writing Voting Rights, 24 L. Writing J. 55 (2020).
- Academic Reputation Scores for Law Schools Rise Significantly in 2020 (April 29, 2020).
- Tattoo Use: What Does the Right of Publicity Have To Do With It?, in Handbook on Intellectual Property and Social Justice (with Lateef Mtima, Steven D. Jamar and Lateef Mtima eds., forthcoming 2022).
- Why Women of Color Remain 'Invisible' in IP Law, 37 GPSolo 45 (2020) (with J. Shontavia Johnson and Tonya M. Evans).
- C. Salyer, Court of Injustice: Law Without Recognition in U.S. Immigration (Book Review), Rutgers Criminal Law and Criminal Justice Books (Nov. 2021).
- Object Lessons: The Materiality of Dispute Resolution, 38 Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. (forthcoming 2023).
- Negotiation Pedagogy as Democratic Praxis, 37 Negotiation J. 149 (2021).
- Against Resolution: Dialogue, Demonstration, and Dispute Resolution, 36 Ohio Ohio St. J. on Disp. Resol. 251 (2020).
- Criminal Justice Citizenship, 72 Fla. L. Rev. 1023 (2021).
- Plea Bargaining for the People, 104 Marq. L. Rev. 1031 (2020).
- American Parentage Law (2022 ed.) (Lexis Nexis) (2022).
- American Parentage Law (2021 ed.) (Lexis Nexis) (2021).
- American Parentage Law (2020 ed.) (Lexis Nexis) (2020).
- Illinois Civil Procedure (2023-2024 ed.) (Lexis Nexis) (forthcoming 2023).
- Illinois Civil Procedure (2022-2023 ed.) (Lexis Nexis) (2022).
- Illinois Civil Procedure (2021-2022 ed.) (Lexis Nexis) (2021).
- Illinois Civil Procedure (2020-2021 ed.) (Lexis Nexis) (2020).
- Binding Nonsignatories to Forum Selection Clauses, ISBA Fed. Civ. Prac. Section Newsl. (Dec. 2022).
- Civil Procedure and the New Bar Exam, 4 Univ. of Colorado L. Rev. Online Forum 11 (2022).
- Dobbs and Unenumerated Parental Custody Rights and Interests, 14 ConLaw Now __ (forthcoming 2023).
- Expanding State Parent Registry Laws, 101 Nebraska L. Rev. __ (forthcoming 2023).
- Presuit Lawyer Information Duties Relevant to Civil Litigation, 105 Marquette L. Rev. 921 (2022), reprinted in 71 Def. L. J No. 4, at 109-151 (Nov. 2022).
- American Constitutions and Artificial Insemination Births, 13 ConLaw Now 125 (2022).
- Irrationalities in Legal Parentage: Gender Identity and Beyond, 51 Univ. of Baltimore L. Rev. 353 (2022).
- Abortion and Safe Haven Laws, 3 Univ. of Colorado L. Rev. Forum 11 (2022).
- DIY Artificial Insemination: The Not-So-Great Gatsby, 55 Creighton L. Rev. 465 (2022).
- Who Is A Parent? Intrastate and Interstate Differences, 34 J. of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers 455 (2022).
- Choosing Parentage Laws in Multistate Conduct Cases, 34 J. of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers __ (forthcoming 2023).
- The Roberts Court and Lost ESI, 51 Stetson L. Rev. 335 (2022).
- State Spoliation Claims in Federal District Courts, 71 Cath. U. L. Rev 1 (2022).
- Presuit Civil Protective Orders on Discovery, 38 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 455 (2022).
- Innocent Losses of Constitutional Rights, 39 Quinnipiac L. Rev 275 (2021).
- Nongendered Childcare Parentage, 56 Gonzaga L. Rev 465 (2020/21).
- Illinois Childcare Parentage Law (R)Evolution, 51 Loy. U. Chi. L.J. 911 (2020).
- Unconstitutional Parenthood, 104 Marquette L. Rev. 183 (2020).
- The Constitutional Limits on Custodial and Support Parentage by Consent, 56 Idaho L. Rev. 421 (2020).