Reference and Research Services
Because research is an integral part of any successful law professional's career, the law library staff works closely with students to build their research skills, preparing them not only for their coursework but for their profession. We also work closely with our faculty to assist them in all phases of their research.
We provide several ways for patrons to obtain help using the law library and its resources:
- On a walk-in basis at the Reference Desk
- By calling the Reference Desk at 815-753-0519
- By emailing email@example.com
- Through our “Ask a Librarian” services, available on the law library’s home page or by texting 815-518-2275. “Ask a Librarian” services are available Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. when classes are in session.
While law library staff attempt to be of service to all patrons, we cannot undertake any actions which could be construed as providing legal advice. At times we may need to limit the amount of assistance provided to patrons not affiliated with the College of Law so we may best serve College of Law students, faculty and staff. For more information, please see our Policy on Legal Research Assistance to Patrons.
Interlibrary Loan Services obtains materials not held by NIU that are needed by students, faculty or staff of the College of Law to support study, research or teaching.
- It can take up to ten working days to obtain interlibrary loan materials. Copies and in-state loans usually arrive more quickly.
- You’ll be notified via your student mailbox or email when materials are ready to be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
- For more information please see Interlibrary Loan Services, Policies and Procedures.
- EzProxy - Off-campus access to databases
- Library catalogs @ NIU
- I-Share interlibrary loans
- Using online study aids in the LexisNexis Digital Library
Research Guides (LibGuides) produced by the Law Library
- Basic Legal Research
- Current awareness services for law
- Researching Illinois legislative history
- Sample Bluebook citations
Other Research Guides
- In Custodia Legis Legal Research Guides (produced by the Library of Congress)