Reference and Research Services
Because research is an integral part of any successful law professional's career, the law library staff works closely with students to build their research skills, preparing them not only for their coursework but for their profession. We also work closely with our faculty to assist them in all phases of their research.
We provide several ways for patrons to obtain help using the law library and its resources. During the Covid-19 crisis, the best way to reach us is:
- By emailing email@example.com
- By booking an online appointment with a law librarian (available to College of Law students, faculty and staff only)
While law library staff attempt to be of service to all patrons, we cannot undertake any actions which could be construed as providing legal advice. At times we may need to limit the amount of assistance provided to patrons not affiliated with the College of Law so we may best serve College of Law students, faculty and staff. For more information, please see our Policy on Legal Research Assistance to Patrons.
Interlibrary Loan Services
Interlibrary Loan Services obtains materials not held by NIU that are needed by students, faculty or staff of the College of Law to support study, research or teaching.
- It can take up to ten working days to obtain interlibrary loan materials. Copies and in-state loans usually arrive more quickly. Note: due to Covid-19, interlibrary loan materials are taking significantly longer to arrive. Please time your requests accordingly.
- You’ll be notified via email when materials are ready to be picked up.
- For more information please see Interlibrary Loan Services, Policies and Procedures.
Research Guides from the Law Library
- Racial justice
- Law Library resources / services for remote study
- Bar exam resources
- Off-campus access to databases
- Basic Legal Research Guide
- Sample Bluebook Citations
- For Law faculty: Increasing your scholarly impact
- More law-related guides