Law Library Hours and Location
The David C. Shapiro Memorial Law Library, located on the second floor of Swen Parson Hall, houses a collection of over 250,000 volumes and volume equivalents. The library's primary function is serving the needs of the students and faculty of the College of Law.
Further research support is available through Founders Memorial Library, the university's main library, which is across Normal Road from the College of Law. Founders Memorial Library contains over two million volumes and an additional 1.2 million federal, state and international government documents.
The law library also offers legal research orientation programs, legal research classes, and comprehensive legal research guides. We look forward to welcoming you.
Directions to the Law Library:
Driving directions to campus are available on the NIU website. Park in the Visitor's Lot on Carroll Ave.
From the Visitor's Lot:
- From the Visitor's Lot, go east one block to Normal Road (passing either north or south of Founder's Library).
- Swen Parson Hall is the stone building connected to the east side of Founders Library by a brown bridge.
- From Normal Road, look for the door into Swen Parson with the accessible ramp (door #25). Enter the door and turn right at the first hallway.
- Follow the blue "Elevator to the College of Law" signs, turning left at the next hallway.
- Take the elevator to the 2nd floor.
- After exiting the elevator make two left turns.
- The entrance to the Law Library will be on your left, across the hall from the Dean's Office.
From the east side of campus:
- From the east side of Swen Parson Hall (the side facing Altgeld Hall & Lowden Hall), go up the external stairs and enter the building. You will be in the Marshall Gallery.
- Turn left (south) out of the Gallery.
- The entrance to the Law Library will be on your right, across the hall from the Dean's Office.
Fall 2021 Hours
September 7 - December 16*Monday
8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday - Thursday
8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday - Saturday
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
4 - 8 p.m.
*The law library will be closed Thursday - Sunday, November 25 - 28, 2021.
If you are not feeling well or are sick do not enter the law library. Please utilize our virtual services.