Hours and Location
Fall 2019 Hours
Sun. Aug. 18 - Sun. Dec. 1:
|Monday - Thursday||7:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. *|
|Friday||7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Saturday||8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Sunday||noon - 10:00 p.m. *|
Exceptions to Fall Hours
|Mon. Sept. 2||1:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.*|
|Wed. Nov. 27||8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|Thu. Nov. 28 - Sat. Nov. 30||CLOSED|
|Sun. Dec. 1||12 noon – 10:00 p.m. *|
* *Sunday through Thursday evenings the Law Library is only open to the students, faculty and staff of the College of Law after 6 p.m. All other patrons will be asked to leave at 6 p.m. Thank you for your cooperation.
Extended hours for reading period and exams will begin Monday Dec. 2.
The Law Library is on the second floor of Swen Parson Hall, located on the east side of Normal Road across the street from Founders Library. Driving directions to campus are available on the NIU website. Park in the Visitor's Lot on Carroll Ave.
If you are not currently affiliated with the College of Law:
- Please call 815-753-0507 before coming to use the Law Library to ensure staff will be available to assist you and the materials you need are accessible.
- Please review our Policy on Legal Research Assistance to Patrons to understand the scope of research assistance available to you.
- Please be prepared to show a current photo ID (such as a driver's license, state-issued ID card or photo ID card issued by an academic institution).
Directions to the Law Library from the Visitor's Lot
- From the Visitor's Lot, go east one block to Normal Road (passing either north or south of Founder's Library).
- Swen Parson Hall is the stone building connected to the east side of Founders Library by a brown bridge.
- From Normal Road, look for the door into Swen Parson with the accessible ramp (door #25). Enter the door and turn right at the first hallway.
- Follow the blue "Elevator to the College of Law" signs, turning left at the next hallway.
- Take the elevator to the 2nd floor.
- After exiting the elevator make two left turns.
- The entrance to the Law Library will be on your left, across the hall from the Dean's Office.
Directions to the Law Library from the east side of campus (including Altgeld Hall)
- From the east side of Swen Parson (the side facing Altgeld Hall & Lowden Hall), go up the external stairs and enter the building. You will be in the Marshall Gallery.
- Turn left (south) out of the Gallery.
- The entrance to the Law Library will be on your right, across the hall from the Dean's Office.