Hours and Location
The Law Library is closed to in person services until further notice
- Please see the Law Library home page for available virtual services.
- To contact the library, please email email@example.com. We'll do our best to get back to you by the next business day. During university closure days (listed below) our response time may be longer:
- Memorial Day Holiday: Mon. May 31
- Independence Day Holiday: Mon. July 5
- Labor Day Holiday: Mon. Sept. 6
- At this time we are not able to provide access to physical items in our Federal depository library collection. We apologize for the inconvenience and will provide full access as soon as possible. Access to Government information is available online through the govinfo website. Contact information for other Federal depository libraries is in the Federal Depository Library Directory. Thank you for your understanding.
The David C. Shapiro Memorial Law Library, located on the second floor of Swen Parson Hall, houses a collection of over 250,000 volumes and volume equivalents. The library's primary function is serving the needs of the students and faculty of the College of Law.
Further research support is available through Founders Memorial Library, the university's main library, which is across Normal Road from the College of Law. Founders Memorial Library contains over two million volumes and an additional 1.2 million federal, state and international government documents.
The law library also offers legal research orientation programs, legal research classes, and comprehensive legal research guides. We look forward to welcoming you.
Directions to the Law Library:
Driving directions to campus are available on the NIU website. Park in the Visitor's Lot on Carroll Ave.
From the Visitor's Lot:
- From the Visitor's Lot, go east one block to Normal Road (passing either north or south of Founder's Library).
- Swen Parson Hall is the stone building connected to the east side of Founders Library by a brown bridge.
- From Normal Road, look for the door into Swen Parson with the accessible ramp (door #25). Enter the door and turn right at the first hallway.
- Follow the blue "Elevator to the College of Law" signs, turning left at the next hallway.
- Take the elevator to the 2nd floor.
- After exiting the elevator make two left turns.
- The entrance to the Law Library will be on your left, across the hall from the Dean's Office.
From the east side of campus:
- From the east side of Swen Parson Hall (the side facing Altgeld Hall & Lowden Hall), go up the external stairs and enter the building. You will be in the Marshall Gallery.
- Turn left (south) out of the Gallery.
- The entrance to the Law Library will be on your right, across the hall from the Dean's Office.