- Credit with Honors - Instructors can assign this grade to up to 20 percent of the students in a class. This grade can be extended to students who have excelled in classes that would have been graded before the change in policy (i.e. this does not include pass/fail courses such as clinics). Recipients of this grade will receive credit for the course.
- Credit - This grade will be assigned to students who demonstrate satisfactory mastery of the subject matter. Recipients of this grade will receive credit for the course.
- No Credit - This grade will be assigned to students who do NOT demonstrate mastery of the subject. Recipients of this grade will NOT receive credit for the course.
- Students who receive a No-Credit grade in a required course must retake that course.
- Students who receive a No-Credit grade in an elective course will not earn those credits toward the 90 credits required for graduation.
Grading FAQ for Spring 2020
Some of the information below may be subject to change. While we'll make every effort to keep this page updated, please remember to check you NIU email on a daily basis to ensure you have access to the most current information.
Please note that the College of Law faculty has approved the use of the Spring 2020 grading policy for the Summer 2020 session.
- 1L students will not have a class rank calculated until the end of the fall 2020 semester. Courses taken during the summer, if any, will be included in the GPA and ranking calculations.
- 2Ls will not have their class ranks recalculated until the end of the fall 2020 semester.
- 3Ls will not have their class ranks recalculated. Your class rank as of the end of the fall 2019 semester will remain the same.