Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Current Students
The spread of COVID-19 has caused many changes at NIU. For the latest information, check your NIU email account daily and refer to NIU's coronavirus updates, as well as the Keep Learning website. If you're experiencing anxiety or distress, keep in mind that student counseling services are available.
We're here to support you and keep your legal education on track during this time. We ask that you use email to contact faculty and administrators, as we're working toward having everyone work remotely. If you're an RA, GA, ASP tutor, etc., contact your supervisor to see if you can work remotely.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email Dean Rigertas, Dean King, or Dean Coles.
Please note: If you recently traveled, you may need to self-quarantine. Read more about what to do if you recently traveled.
Fall Schedule and Course Registration
Please see the email from Dean Rigertas to rising 2L & 3L students sent on Friday, May 15 for details.
The May 23 graduation on campus has been canceled. After consultation with SBA leadership and others, we will hold a Virtual Celebration on May 30, 2020. We will save the title and many of the components of “graduation” for an in-person event that will be scheduled when we can safely do so. Please see the email from Dean Rigertas to 3L students sent on Friday, May 15 for more information.
July Bar Exam
As of Friday, May 1 the Illinois Bar Exam has been rescheduled to September 9-10, 2020 (see https://courts.illinois.gov/Media/PressRel/2020/050120.pdf). Check these websites for further updates:
- National Conference of Bar Examiners COVID-19 Updates
- Illinois Board of Admissions to the Bar - Information about Bar Admissions and COVID-19
Summer Session Grading Policy
The College of Law faculty has approved the use of the Spring 2020 grading policy for the Summer 2020 session. Please see the Grading FAQ for Spring 2020 for more information.
AccessLex Institute is generously providing the College of Law with $25,000 in emergency funds for law students. The funds will be administered through the emergency fund that NIU’s Division of Student Affairs has set up. Use this form to apply.
- Please review the most recent updates to the summer schedule on the classes, books and exams page.
- The faculty voted on April 9 to continue the grading system that we are using for spring semester (credit with honors, credit, and no credit) for the summer session.
- Registration for summer classes opened on March 19. If you're a first-year student, you can register without turning in an acknowledgment form.
- The faculty voted on April 9 to temporarily (for summer and fall 2020) relax the restriction on externship placements in private firms to include placements in private firms where a student’s work is not limited to pro bono work.
- There will be no face-to-face work in externship placements this summer, so all externship work needs to be done remotely.
- Please contact Professor O’Malley with externship questions.
Spring Semester Grading
Please see the March 27 email Dean Rigertas sent to all law students about changes to spring semester grading policies. There is also a FAQ about Spring 2020 grading.
Access to Campus
Avoid campus when possible and stay away if you're not feeling well. Contact the Student Health Center if you have questions about whether you should come to campus.
As of March 23 Swen Parson Hall is locked. If you need things from your locker, please contact Dean Rigertas or Dean King for information about building access. If you're not feeling well but need something from your locker, contact Dean Rigertas or Dean King. We'll figure out another way to get you what you need.
The law library is closed until further notice. Email law library faculty for assistance with online library resources. You can also access a guide on online study aids and remote learning.
Remote learning will begin on Monday, March 23. Your professors will likely use Blackboard Collaborate to facilitate remote instruction. If you haven't used the platform before, take some time to learn how to participate in a Blackboard Collaborate session.
Here's who to contact for specific questions:
- For questions about how a class will operate, contact your professor. Contact Dean King if you have an issue that needs to be brought to the administration's attention.
- For questions about accommodations or accessibility, contact Dean Coles or Dean King.
- For technology questions, contact Rahul Thatte or Tejas Satam at email@example.com or 815-753-0860.
NIU has canceled all international study abroad programs through August, including our study abroad program in Agen, France. We don't have information yet on what NIU plans to do about expenses you may have already incurred.
If you have any questions about the cancellation of the Agen program, contact David Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-753-0560.
All in-person events held or sponsored by the law school have been canceled until further notice. If an event can be changed to an online format, that option may be explored. If you wish to change a student organization event from live to remote, contact your faculty adviser.