Kathleen L. Coles
Kathleen Coles has taught corporations, securities regulation, non-profit organizations, payment systems and introduction to lawyering skills, along with seminars dealing with recent financial crises. She has been the associate dean for student affairs since 2013.
Before joining the NIU faculty, Dean Coles practiced law for fourteen years in New York, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles. She began at Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton in 1977 and worked in both their New York and Washington, D.C. offices. She then joined the Los Angeles office of Morgan, Lewis & Bockius in 1984 and practiced corporate-securities law there and at the Los Angeles branch office of another east coast firm before leaving practice in 1991 to teach at NIU.
Dean Coles earned her J.D. degree at the University of Chicago, where she was a member of the law review. Prior to law school, she studied history at the College of William and Mary, graduating summa cum laude. She then spent two years at Somerville College, University of Oxford, earning a B.A. and M.A. in modern history.
In addition to teaching at NIU, Dean Coles has been a visiting professor at University of Missouri-Kansas City and Valparaiso University School of Law.
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate law
- Book Review: Stretched Thin: Poor Families, Welfare Work, and Welfare Reform, by Sandra Morgen, Joan Acker and Jill Weigt, in 14 Perspectives on Work 57 (2010).
- The Dilemma of the Remote Tippee, 41 Gonz. L. Rev. 181 (2006). (Available in SSRN)
- cited in S.E.C. v. Dorozhko, 606 F.Supp.2d 321 (S.D.N.Y. 2008).
- cited in Brown v. Earthboard Sports USA, Inc., 481 F.3d 901 (6th Cir. 2007).
- Mixed Up Questions of Fact and Law: Illinois Standards of Appellate Review in Civil Cases Following the 1997 Amendment to Supreme Court Rule 341, 28 S. Ill. U. L.J. 13 (2003).
- cited in:
- Ventimiglia v. Chiaro, 2014 IL App (1st) 133118-U.
- Omega Missionary Baptist Church v. Hamer, 2013 IL App (1st) 120600.
- AT&T Teleholdings, Inc. v. Dep't of Revenue, 983 N.E.2d 523 (Ill. App. Ct. 1st Dist. 2012).
- Madison Miracle Prods., LLC v. MGM Distribution Co., 978 N.E.2d 654 (Ill. App. Ct. 1st Dist. 2012).
- Lawson v. Shelby County Sheriff's Office, 961 So.2d 158 (Ala. Civ. App. 2007).
- Home Depot USA v. Dep't of Revenue, 823 N.E.2d 625 (Ill. App. Ct. 3d Dist. 2005).
- cited in:
- What is a Security?, 3 Int'l Fin. L. Rev. 17 (1984) (with Edward F. Greene).