Yolanda M. King
Associate Professor of Law
B.A., Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis
J.D., Harvard Law School
Phone: (815) 753-7231
Associate Professor Yolanda M. King teaches intellectual property and entertainment law. Before joining the NIU faculty, Professor King practiced intellectual property law at Husch Blackwell Sanders Welsh & Katz and Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione in Chicago, Illinois, where she engaged in domestic and international copyright and trademark prosecution, handled licensing issues, and represented clients in domain name matters. In addition, she was an attorney in the City of Chicago Department of Law.
Professor King is a member of the Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago, International Trademark Association and Society for American Law Teachers. She is a recipient of the 2009 Corporate Woman of Achievement Award by the National Association of Women Business Owners and a 2012 inductee of the Pike High School Alumni Hall of Fame.
Professor King is a 2002 graduate of Harvard Law School, where she was a member of the Committee on Sports and Entertainment Law and Orientation Co-Chair of the Black Law Students Association. She is a member of the Illinois Bar. In 1999, she received her B.A. in Journalism, with Highest Distinction, from Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis, where she was a Chancellor's Scholar, Central Newspapers Foundation Scholar, Minority Achievement Scholar, and an Outstanding Woman Student Leader Award recipient.
- The Preemption Challenges for Tattoo Copyrights (work in progress).
- The Enforcement Challenges for Tattoo Copyrights, __ J. Intell. Prop. L. __ (2014 forthcoming).
- The Challenges “Facing” Copyright Protection for Tattoos, 92 Or. L. Rev. 129 (2013).
- Review of From Servants to Workers: South African Domestic Workers and the Democratic State, by Shireen Ally, 14 Perspectives on Work 55 (2010).
- Presentation, The Challenges “Facing” Copyright Protection for Tattoos, DuPage County Bar Association (February 18, 2014).
- Presentation, The Enforcement Challenges for Tattoo Copyrights, Chicago Junior Faculty Workshop, Valparaiso University of Chicago (February 7, 2014).
- Panelist, Mock AALS Interview, Resistance Rising: Theorizing and Building Cross-Sector Movements, 2013 Biennial LatCrit Conference, Hilton Chicago O’Hare Airport (October 3, 2013).
- Presentation, The Enforcement Challenges for Tattoo Copyrights, 2013 Intellectual Property Scholars Conference, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University (August 8, 2013).
- Panelist, PED Panel: Careers in the Law, Walter Payton College Prep (April 25, 2013).
- Presentation, The Challenges “Facing” Copyright Protection for Tattoos, Faculty Development Committee, Northern Illinois University College of Law (March 27, 2013).
- Presentation, The Challenges "Facing" Copyright Protection for Tattoos, Central States Law Schools Association's 2012 Annual Conference, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (October 20, 2012).
- Panelist, Northern Illinois University College of Law Black Law Student Association Presents: "What Can I Do With My Law Degree?" (September 26, 2012).
- Panelist, Black Women Lawyers' Association of Greater Chicago's 2012 National Summit of Black Women Lawyers, "Pursuing Academic Appointments" (April 13, 2012).
- Presentation, Survey of Music Class, School of Music, NIU College of Visual & Performing Arts, DeKalb, IL (March 2012).
- Panelist, Northern Illinois University, Black Faculty Association's "So You Want an A? How to be Successful in Your Classes" (February 8, 2012).
- Panelist and Organizer, Society of American Law Teachers, The John Marshall Law School and Northern Illinois University College of Law's "Breaking In: How to Become a Law Professor or Law School Administrator" Program (September 16, 2011).
- Presentation, Survey of Music Class, School of Music, NIU College of Visual & Performing Arts, DeKalb, IL (April 2010).
- Panelist, City of Chicago Department of Law’s “2007 Diversity in the Law Pipeline Program” (February 23, 2007).
Areas of Expertise:
Intellectual Property, Entertainment Law