Northern Illinois University College of Law United States Supreme Court Swearing-In Ceremony
May 21, 2012
Join us for the NIU College of Law’s United States Supreme Court Swearing-In Ceremony. This special and unique opportunity of being sworn in by the U.S. Supreme Court Justices is often described as an experience you will never forget.
Requirements for Admission
To qualify for admission to the bar of the United States Supreme Court, an applicant:
- Must have been admitted to practice in the highest court of a State, Commonwealth, Territory or Possession, or the District of Columbia for a period of at least three years immediately before the date of application;
- Must not have been the subject of any adverse disciplinary action pronounced or in affect during that 3-year period; and
- Must appear to the Court to be of good moral and professional character.
Additional information can be found on the Supreme Court website.
Requirements for Registration
Admittess must complete and submit the following documents:
Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing (Allow 5 business days to receive the certificate); and
You will need two signatures from sponsors who are already sworn into the United States Supreme Court. Several NIU Law alumni have been previously admitted, and we will arrange for a sponsor if needed.
NIU Law will file all of your necessary paperwork, with admission fee, to the Supreme Court.
All registration materials must be received by April 2, 2012. Additional applications cannot be accepted once they are sent to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Send Admissions form, Certificate of Good Standing, NIU Law registration form, and payment to:
NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW
Alumni Office – U.S. Supreme Court Event
Attn: Melody Mitchell, Director
Swen Parson Hall #285
DeKalb, IL 60115
The Swearing-In admission fee is $200 per attorney. There is an additional cost of $75 per person for the other scheduled events (continental breakfast and luncheon).
NIU Law will accept a check or credit card for payment. Please make checks payable to: Northern Illinois University College of Law.
Due to the size of the court, space is limited. Each person being admitted to the court can bring one (1) guest into the Supreme Court to witness the swearing-in. If there is room, additional guests could possibly be allowed in, but it is at the discretion of the Court and is not guaranteed. Children under age 6 are not admitted into the courtroom for the ceremony.
Several events are planned in conjunction with the Swearing-In. D.C. and other area alumni NOT being sworn-in are invited to join us for the May 20th reception and/or May 21st luncheon at Charlie Palmer (luncheon registration form).
Sunday, May 20, 2012
4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Reception for all participants and their guests, along with area alumni and friends. Complimentary appetizers and cocktails (informal, dress comfortably).
21st Amendment Bar & Grill located inside the Holiday Inn-Capitol
550 C Street SW, Washington D.C. 20024
Monday, May 21, 2012
- 8:00 a.m.
Arrive at the U.S. Supreme Court (Maryland Avenue entrance). We will meet outside the U.S. Supreme Court and enter as a group. We will then be escorted to a private room for our continental breakfast .
- 10:00 a.m.
Swearing-In Ceremony followed by reception and group photographs. Supreme Court justices will be invited. Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Ginsburg attended our reception in 2010.
- 12:30 p.m.
Lunch at Charlie Palmer Steak House located at 101 Constitution Avenue NW. The restaurant is a half-mile away from the Supreme Court Building.
Travel & Hotel Accommodations
- Attendees must make their own travel arrangements to and from Washington, D.C. For your convenience, a group rate and room block has been secured at the Holiday Inn-Capitol, 550 C Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20024. Our official check-in day is Saturday, May 19 and check-out on Monday, May 21. If you would like to extend your stay, please check with the hotel regarding availability. The block of rooms is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- To make your reservations, click here for online reservations or call 1-800-HOLIDAY (465-4329) and mention the group code (NL2) for NIU College of Law to receive the group rate of $189 per night. You must make your room reservations no later than April 19, 2012. This is the last date the hotel will guarantee room availability and rooms at the discounted rate. Any reservations received after this date, are subject to space and rate availability. Each participant is responsible for making his or her own travel arrangements and hotel accommodations.
Please contact Melody Mitchell, director of Alumni Events & Public Relations at email@example.com or 815.753.1027 with any questions.