Alumni On the Move - Class of 1979
Alumni of the NIU College of Law are an accomplished and driven group, comprising a nationwide community of legal practitioners, judges, public servants, and educators. We are proud to highlight their distinguished achievements and activities. Check back regularly for updates and see how NIU Law alumni exemplify excellence in their professions.
Submit your information for Alumni On the Move.
- ISBA President Richard Felice received the Executive Director’s Award from Robin (Zalewski) Belleau (’95) at the Illinois Lawyers’ Assistance Program’s (LAP) Joseph R. Bartylak Dinner in Springfield on April 17, 2015 for his outstanding support of LAP.
- Richard D. Felice was honored as Alumnus of the Year at the 2014 NIU Law Alumni Council Awards ceremony on September 17, 2014 at the University Club of Chicago.
- Richard D. Felice was installed as the 138th President of the Illinois State Bar Association at the ISBA Annual Meeting on June 20, 2014.
- Richard D. Felice will succeed to the office President-Elect of the ISBA. - May 2013
- Joann Fratianni-Atsaves has been selected by Governor Bruce Rauner as the chairman of the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission (IWCC). She has 34 years of experience in workers’ compensation law and is currently an arbitrator on the IWCC. Fratianni-Atsaves has worked for the IWCC for the past 27 years. She began her career as an arbitrator in 1987 and was appointed to be a commissioner from 1990 to 1993. She continued her work as an arbitrator after her term as a commissioner was complete. She currently hears workers’ compensation matters by trial or settlement, and renders written decisions and approves settlement contracts. Prior to her work for the IWCC, Fratianni-Atsaves worked in private practice at the law offices of Anthony V. Fanone where she handled insurance defense litigation for workers’ compensation matters, often trying cases within the IWCC. She began her legal career at Osterkamp, Jackson & Hollywood. Fratianni-Atsaves is a graduate of the University of Illinois. - February 2015
- George B. Huff achieved one of the highest distinctions possible for a public servant. On September 30, 2014, Huff was honored in a ceremony on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. The ceremony recognized his more than 30 years of distinguished service to the Administrative Office of the United States Courts.
- James F. McCluskey has been elected third vice president of the Illinois State Bar Association. McCluskey is now in succession to lead the largest bar organization in the state with over 33,000 members in June 2018.- May 2015
- James F. McCluskey has been elected to the Board of Directors of the Illinois Bar Foundation (IBF), the charitable arm of the Illinois State Bar Association. - September 2014
- James F. McCluskey was inducted as a member of the ISBA Board of Governors at the ISBA Annual Meeting on June 20, 2014.
- James F. McCluskey was elected as Secretary of the Illinois State Bar Association Board of Governors. - August 2013
- Michael Steelman was honored as the 2013 Illinois Banker of the Year by the Illinois Bankers Association. - June 2013
- Hon. Joseph R. Waldeck recently retired from the bench after spending nearly 20 years as an associate judge in Lake County Circuit Court where he focused on juvenile, domestic abuse, and family law matters. He has joined Schiller, DuCanto & Fleck LLP as a partner. - July 2014