Skip navigation

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships normally provide waivers in the amount of full or partial in-state tuition. Many graduate assistants also earn a monthly stipend to help offset living expenses.

Graduate assistants work in departments here at the NIU College of Law as well as in offices throughout the greater NIU community (e.g., in the student legal services office, the university counsel’s office, the office of the ombudsman, and the student housing office). They work 10-20 hours per week during the school year or up to 40 hours per week during the summer.

Normally, assistantship applications are processed during late spring for positions starting the next fall. Applications are processed in the early fall for positions starting in the spring.

Law students should note that tuition waivers affect the student’s financial aid budget. The tuition waiver reduces the total student loan eligibility amount.

Students seeking graduate assistantships should contact the Office of Human Resource Services.

Contact Us


Apply Now!


Phone: 815-753-8595
Swen Parson Hall 151

General Information

Admissions Information:
Swen Parson Hall 151

Other Questions:
Swen Parson Hall 270

Request Information

Give to the College of Law

Law Library

Like, Join, and Follow us on

Facebook   Facebook Groups   Twitter  LinkedIn