Legal databases & websites
Not sure where to start? See the Index column on the right side of this page, or contact our Reference Desk for help with selecting and using the best sources for your research.
- See the Law Library Database A-Z List for descriptions of each database/website.
- Databases with names followed by "[COL]" are restricted to current students, faculty and staff of the College of Law.
- Off-campus access to some databases is also limited to College of Law students, faculty and staff. If you're affiliated with the College of Law, contact the Reference Desk to learn how to obtain off-campus access.
- Databases available through Founders Library.
- SFX Journal Search: titles available in print or online at all NIU Libraries
- NIU Catalog - Searches all NIU Libraries.
- I-Share Catalog - Searches the holdings of over 80 academic & specialized libraries in Illinois.
- WorldCat - Searches library collections worldwide.
- NIU Office of the Ombudsperson - Offers confidential guidance to students, faculty, and staff. While the office cannot provide legal advice or advocate on your behalf, staff can advise you of your rights within the university.
- NIU Student's Legal Assistance - Provides consultation, advocacy, and court representation services to students in a variety of cases.
- DeKalb County Legal Self-Help Center - Provides online forms & guidance related to issues such as going to court, divorce, eviction, foreclosure, child support and orders of protection.
- Illinois Legal Aid Online - ILAO puts the law within reach for everyone with a legal problem in Illinois, regardless of their location, income, and education. People can access user-friendly online legal information and services from anywhere they can connect to the internet, including their mobile phone.
- By type
- By location/jurisdiction
- By topic
- Accounting, finance, taxation
- Consumer law
- Criminal law
- Environmental law & safety
- Ethics & professional responsibility
- Family law
- Health law
- Intellectual property
- Labor & employment law
- Legal education
- Legal history
- Securities law
- NIU/DeKalb resources for legal assistance
Swen Parson Hall 151
Admissions Information: 815-753-8595
Swen Parson Hall 151
Other Questions: 815-753-1068
Swen Parson Hall 270
Like, Join, and Follow us on