Meredith A.G. Stange
Director of Legal Writing Program
B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison
J.D., Boston College Law School
Phone: (815) 753-1958
Meredith Stange teaches legal writing and advocacy and is also a coordinator for the first-year Academic Success Program. A graduate of Boston College Law School, she visited Loyola University Chicago School of Law during her third year of law school, where she earned a Certificate in Health Law and served as an articles editor for the Annals of Health Law.
A member of the Legal Writing Institute (LWI), she has served on its Plagiarism Committee (2006-08, 2012-14), its Diversity Initiatives Committee (2010-12), and is currently a member of its Idea Bank Committee as well as its ad hoc committee to update the LWI website.
Prior to coming to the College of Law, she was a litigation associate with Hinshaw & Culbertson in Rockford, Illinois, practicing in the area of medical malpractice and insurance defense. Her practice also included corporate health care issues, with an emphasis on the privacy regulations to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
- 'Yo, Prof!' is Not the Proper Way to Address Me: Using a Status Email Assignment in First-Year Legal Writing to Address Issues with Student Correspondence, The Learning Curve (AALS Sec. on Acad. Support, Washington, D.C.), Summer 2016, at 19.
| PDF |
- Law Students Lie and Other Practical Information for First-Year Students, LAW TCHR., Fall 2012, at 18.
- "Social Justice and the Legal Writing Classroom," Society of American Law Teachers Conference, John Marshall Law School, Panelist, (October 2016).
- “Entering Uncharted Waters: Using an Upper Level Writing for Practice Class to Reinforce 1L Writing Concepts,” Central States Legal Writing Conference, Presenter, (September 2015).
- "Iamsexy2252@yahoo.com is an Inappropriate Email Address for Professional Correspondence: Why NIU Law Added a Status Email Assignment to First Year Legal Writing," Legal Writing Institute's Preparing Practice Ready Students Workshop, Southern Illinois University School of Law, Presenter, (December 2014).
- “Welcome to the Study of Legalese: Teaching First Year Legal Writing as a Foreign Language,” Empire State Legal Writing Conference, Presenter, (May 2010).
- “Divided We Succeed: Teaching Legal Writing and Research as Separate, Collaborative Courses,” Central States Regional LRW/Lawyering Skills Conference, Presenter, (October 2009) (with Jeanna Hunter, Elsa Miller, Frank Lima and Therese Clarke).
- “Taking Risks in the Legal Writing Classroom,” Central States Regional LRW/Lawyering Skills Conference, Presenter, (October 2007).