Genevieve A. Tokić
Assistant Professor of Law
B.A., Northwestern University
J.D., New York University School of Law
LL.M., Northwestern University School of Law
Genevieve Tokić joined the NIU Law faculty in 2015. She teaches courses in tax and business, including Federal Income Tax, International Business Transactions, and Taxation of Business Entities. Her primary research interest is in international taxation, and she is a co-author of the third edition of an International Taxation casebook published by LexisNexis.
Professor Tokić has previously taught at Texas Tech University School of Law. She also worked in the U.S. and international tax group of a prominent Chicago law firm, where she advised multinational corporations and privately-owned businesses on international tax planning, transfer pricing, and other matters. Professor Tokić also previously worked as an associate in the corporate finance group of an international law firm in London, where she advised primarily foreign clients on mergers and acquisitions and U.S. securities laws.
Professor Tokić holds a B.A. degree in political science and international studies from Northwestern University, a J.D. degree from New York University School of Law, and an LL.M., with honors, from Northwestern University School of Law.
United States International Taxation (LexisNexis, 3rd ed., 2015) (with Philip Postlewaite, Jeff Sheffield, and Julie Green Baumeister).
- Morrison v. National Australia Bank and the Future of Extraterritorial Application of the U.S. Securities Laws, 72 Ohio St. L.J. 537 (2011).
- Minimizing Current U.S. Taxation under Subpart F with Low Tax Foreign Structures, in USC Major Tax Planning Institute (LexisNexis, 2014) (coauthored with Lowell D. Yoder).
- Rodriguez Continues Narrow Interpretation of Subpart F, 140 Tax Notes 585 (August 2013), (coauthored with Andrew Roberson and David Noren).
- Transnational Securities Fraud and the Extraterritorial Application of the U.S. Securities Laws: Challenges and Opportunities, 1 Global Bus. L. Rev. 139 (2010-11).
- Changing Regulations for Cross-Border M&A, 21 J. Corp. Accounting & Finance 33-43(Jan./Feb. 2010) (coauthored with Stijepko Tokic).
Areas of Expertise
Federal Income Tax, International Taxation, Business Tax, Business Law, International Business Transactions