Clanitra Stewart Nejdl
Reference & Instructional Services Librarian and Assistant Professor
B.A., University of South Carolina Honors College
J.D., Walter F. George School of Law, Mercer University
M.L.I.S., University of South Carolina
Phone: (815) 753-9487
Clanitra Stewart Nejdl joined the NIU College of Law Library faculty in 2014. She provides legal reference assistance to faculty, staff, students, and other library users. In addition, she teaches legal research. Prior to joining the Law Library faculty, she practiced law at the South Carolina Appleseed Legal Justice Center, where she provided local and statewide policy advocacy on behalf of low-income communities in the areas of affordable housing, homelessness, hunger, and community economic development. She was also an attorney at the Georgia Legal Services Program, where she represented indigent clients in a variety of civil cases.
In addition to her degrees, Professor Stewart Nejdl holds a certificate in Advanced Legal Writing, Research and Drafting from the Walter F. George School of Law at Mercer University. She is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Association of Law Libraries, the Mid-America Association of Law Libraries, and the Chicago Association of Law Libraries. She is admitted to the Georgia Bar and the South Carolina Bar.
- Wrongful Convictions and Their Causes: An Annotated Bibliography, __ N. Ill. U. L. Rev. __ (forthcoming 2017) (with Karl Pettitt).
- AALL Annual Meeting and Conference 2015: A Newbie’s Journey, CALL Bull. (Fall 2015), at 15.
- First Year Teaching: How I Got Here From There, MAALL Markings, Sept. 2015, at 14.
- The Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act: Keeping Tenants in the Loop and in Their Homes, S.C. Law., May 2010, at 20.
- Public Interest Issues for the Private Practitioner, S.C. Law., July 2007, at 26 (with Susan B. Berkowitz).
- Program Report: Designers’ Workshop: Subject Guides That Create the Effect You Want, ALL-SIS Newsletter, Fall 2015, at 9, http://www.aallnet.org/sections/all/resources/newsletter/archives/35-1.pdf.
- Program Report: Transitioning to the Revised ABA Law School Accreditation Standards, ALL-SIS Newsletter, Fall 2015, at 25, http://www.aallnet.org/sections/all/resources/newsletter/archives/35-1.pdf.
- ProQuest Congressional and Legislative Insight, SOUTHEASTERN L. LIBR., Summer 2012, at 3, reprinted in THE CRIV SHEET, Feb. 2013, at 4.
- Research Instruction I: Innovating Your Legal Research Classes, Co-presenter, Teaching Today’s Students with Today’s Tools for Tomorrow’s Practice (Legal Writing Institute), IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, IL, December 11, 2015.
- Issues and Trends in Federal Education Law, Presentation at the NIU College of Education’s TLEE 461 Professional Development Day, DeKalb, IL, October 16, 2015.
Selected Honors and Activities
- American Association of Law Libraries Leadership Academy Fellow, 2016
- Chicago Association of Law Libraries Archives Committee Co-Chair, 2016
- Faculty Senate Member, Northern Illinois University, 2016 – Present
- Beta Phi Mu International Library & Information Studies Honor Society Member, 2013 - Present